Shop local – without leaving your sofa | Culture
“Buy local” doesn’t necessarily mean getting in the car: the internet is full of items made by talented artists and craftspeople in their homes, garages and backyards. Here is a list of talented people in and around Athens County, some who sell exclusively online and others whose work can be found in local stores. In Athens, you can find locally made products at Hyacinth Bean Florist, Passion Works Studio, White’s Mill, and Kindred Market; in Nelsonville, check out the Starbrick Gallery and the New Leaf Emporium.
Some artisans will have items for sale in Athens Holiday Markets, which will be held from 9 a.m. to noon on the first three Saturdays of December at the State Market.
This list is not exhaustive! To add a local artisan, send an email to [email protected] with “local purchases” in the subject line.
All mixed up
Pins, needles and hooks
- Cricket Jones Jewelry. Original handmade jewelry from silverware and old and recycled materials.
- Delicate meadow. Resin and felted wool jewelry inspired by nature.
- Hxve Mercy. Awesome jewelry; also vinyl car decals.
- Rocks jewelry box. Gemstone jewelry in sterling silver, gold, copper or bronze.
- Small fashion crimes. Unique handmade jewelry in mixed media.
- Play with the glass. Fused glass jewelry, photo frames and other decors designed and created by Amanda Buchanan.
- Qberry creations. Personalized and handmade jewelry and gifts.
- Steffies sparkles. Hand painted leather, gemstone and crystal jewelry and recycled glassware.
- Tina’s tiaras. Handmade tiaras for all ages. Products also available at the Starbrick Gallery, Nelsonville; Hyacinth Bean Florist, West Union Street; Passion Works Studio, Uptown Athens.
Something to tie the place together
For the creative handyman
Gifts for gamers and fans
List compiled by Corinne Colbert. Want to add your store? Send an email to [email protected] with “local purchases” in the subject line.